Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sensory Details!


Wednesday, July 9th, 2014

Today I wanted to practice my sensory details. I thought I would answer the questions listed under our Practice Description for our What is a Place Essay. I thought I would describe my surroundings on a plane right now to practice.

I smell fizzy coke next to me and a hint of peanut from the bag placed in front of me. One of the flight attendants just walked by and there is a strong smell of vanilla perfume coated in the air now. I can smell powdered cheese from the goldfish someone just opened up to eat.

I can hear seat belts clicking on now that the buzzer has went off for us to put them on. I can hear someone shuffling by on their way to use the restroom and a child babbling along about who knows what. I hear ice being rattled in glasses and someone flipping pages in their magazine.

Right now I can see my mother sleeping beside me and my brother playing some games on the other side of me. I can see our bags in the floor and my assignment sheets right next to me. I can see lights and warning signs directly above me and a movie being played in front of me. I can see my brother’s headphones jammed into the pocket of the seat in front of him and his jacket draped on top of him.

I can feel the wind crushing into the sides of the plane and slight movement up and down. I feel a thin blanket on top of my legs and the smooth keyboard from my computer on the tips of my fingers. I feel my stomach starting to get hungry and the smooth leather pocket in the seat in front of me. I feel a slight bouncing sensation as we go through some slight wind.

Practice, practice, practice. I know that is the only way I will become better at this, but I already feel better about description.

No comments:

Post a Comment