Monday, June 30, 2014

My Grandma

Monday, June 30th, 2014

Today I was able to help my Mom and Uncle with some cleaning out. My grandma has been in a nursing home for a few years now since she had a stroke. She had to go through quite a bit of physical therapy to get her up and going again. As much as she would like to think she is just as healthy as a 22 year old, she isn't. My Uncle had moved into the home my Grandma used to live in and hadn't really cleaned any of her things out. She took some with her to the nursing home, but she has collected a lot of stuff over the years! Anyone who has cleaned out an elderly person's room can tell you all about that. She had all kinds of knick-knacks tucked away. It was amazing some of the things we were able to find, and then other things we couldn't even believe she kept. It was literally a treasure hunt! By the end of the day we were able to get through a lot of her stuff. Quite a bit of it is going to be donated and some of it we are keeping of course. We found a few things she would probably like to have with her at the nursing home so we are going to take some of that later. My grandma was actually a writer herself. She wrote a couple books and always thought it would be neat to have them published; but she never got too far along in the process to do so. I myself haven't read the books so I couldn't tell you if they were actually good or not, but she just loved to write. She said it was relaxing to her to just sit down at the typewriter. She would type a few more pages every day. Now, that's been years past, but I know that if she were handed a typewriter today she would just begin clicking away like it was yesterday. She has definitely aged, but in some ways she seems as young as ever. My Grandma has inspired me to do new things and to reach for my dreams more. She has influenced my life in the past; and I know she will continue to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment