Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Know Your Audience Analysis


I really enjoyed Belinda Clark’s discussion question of, “Where are you from and what circumstances brought you to where you are?” It was so interesting to see where everyone was from and why. I would have to say the majority of the people in the class are from Springfield, Missouri expectedly, but there were some people that had lived in places such as: Italy, Germany, and Mexico. It thought that was really neat! Scott Smith even said that he had traveled the world a lot, but Springfield was his hometown and where he always seems to end up. That got me to thinking about my own hometown and whether I will be able to say that in ten years. I am just beginning my journey in life and I’m uncertain where I will end up, possibly my hometown with family.

I also enjoyed Kayla Holland’s question of whether or not we have children. I went through and counted up the responses and the people who do not are slightly ahead. There is almost half and half on this question! It was great to see the ratio of people who are younger and also older. This makes a big difference in your writing audience. There are many things young people could talk about that older people wouldn’t be interested and vice versa. It is good to know that our audience is broad!

Adrienne Lamphear’s discussion question on what our favorite season is was a great way to get to know people. The majority of the people said fall was their favorite, but summer wasn’t too far behind. I was honestly surprised at how many people said winter was their favorite season! I would have never guessed that that many people actually liked winter. It’s not that I don’t like it at all, but it’s not necessarily a season I am excited about either.

I thought it was interesting how we all had different TV shows to represent our lives and only a couple were the same. That just goes to show you how different we all are! Interestingly many of us have far different paths in life we would like to take, as discovered by Maria Whitsel’s question about the future ten years from now. Nearly everyone though had something to say about family or their spouse. I think that goes to show that no matter what family is so important and is highly valued.

Although the Jung Personality test wasn’t part of the Know Your Audience discussion board; I feel like it also helped me do just that. I liked going through some of the blogs and seeing what kind of personality’s people had. This was also a great way to get to know the students in class.

There were a lot of great discussion questions posted and I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone’s responses. It was amazing to me how all over the board we are as a class. It seems as though everyone is very different and unique. Thanks for letting me get to know you, as I hope you have gotten to know me.

1 comment:

  1. Good summary - move to analysis by asking why. Why did people answer the way that they did? What does this all mean. Defining the meaning will bring you to analysis. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete